An Garda Síochána are urging motorists to park smart in the lead up to Christmas by ensuring that your vehicle is locked no matter where it’s parked to avoid being the target of opportunistic thieves.
National figures show that one-third of all vehicles broken into in residential areas had been left unlocked by the owner.
Tips to Prevent Theft
– Wherever you park your car or van, take your property with you.
– Ensure your car is locked, alarmed and parked in a safe location
– Store your keys safely, away from windows and letterboxes
– Gardaí are appealing for all vehicle owners to ensure they lock their vehicle no matter where it is parked.
– Do not store valuables in the car, but if you have to, keep them out of sight.